Hyper-V  Hangs Loading setting data

I am having an identical problem others are reporting where Hyper-V hangs after installing the RemoteFX role with RTM SP1.  The server specs are as follows:

WIN 2008 ENT R2 w/RTM SP1, DELL T710 w/2 Intel Xeon X5550 2.66GHz CPU's, 24GB RAM, nVidia FX 3800 with W2008 R2 x64 Driver installed.

The VM properties will not load regardless of what I try & I therefore cannot add the RemoteFX role which is the primary purpose of this exercise.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

February 23rd, 2011 9:30pm

I am experiencing identical issues with Hyper-V Manager hanging.  I noticed after performing an in-place upgrade to SP1 that Hyper-V manager hangs when trying to create a new Virtual Machine as well.  I have been able to get around the issue with new virtual machines by creating them in SCVMM.

I need a resolution to the "Loading Setting Data..." issue when attempting to Add Hardware as this is preventing me from demonstrating RemoteFX functionality in my demo lab (Can't add to my RFX VMs). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2011 7:32am

did you find any errors in Event Viewer?
March 1st, 2011 6:49am

So i understadnd that you are unable to go to the VM properties.

But does the VM start with the regular display adapter or do you get some error starting them?

March 1st, 2011 10:15am

BTW, This can happen if you have DC hosted on RDVH server. Is that the case here?

March 1st, 2011 10:56am

Actually the VM starts with the onboard video & the nVidia FX 3800 (w/onboard video disabled) but properties cannot be displayed with RemoteFX installed regardless of the video adapter used.  I am using an nVidia Quadro FX 3800 video adapter because nVidia touts the FX video GPU's supporting RemoteFX.

March 1st, 2011 4:55pm

This was/is originally a DC & Hyper-V was installed upon SP1 release.  It is strange that VM's will start & run but settings cannot be viewed thus preventing the addition of RemoteFX to the VM.  New VM's cannot be defied because the HyperV Manager hangs at "Loading Page" after clicking "Next" at the "Specfy Name & Location" step.

March 1st, 2011 5:14pm

This issue is by design. Running Active Directory Domain Services on a server that is also running a RemoteFX-enabled virtual machine is not a supported configuration.

New and existing RemoteFX-enabled virtual machines do not start on a domain controller that is running the Remote Desktop Virtualization Host service in Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2506417

We are adding this specific scenario to the KB currently, in any case it is an expected behavior as the scenario is not supported. Generally we see that the VMs doesnt start as well.

March 1st, 2011 6:53pm

Additionally please take a look at the FAQ on TechNet regarding RemoteFX Setup. There is a known issue with the Interactive Logon group policy settings that can also cause this to occur.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff817615(WS.10).aspx

Hyper-V Manager stops responding when I attempt to create a new virtual machine or edit an existing virtual machine’s settings If the Hyper-V Manager console, svchost.exe process, or RDVGSM service consistently stops responding when you attempt to create a new virtual machine or edit an existing virtual machine’s settings, verify that the following Group Policy settings are not configured on the RemoteFX server:

•Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options/Interactive Logon: Message text for users attempting to log on  
  •Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options/Interactive Logon: Message title for users attempting to log on  

And as noted earlier you cannot install the RD Virtualization Host role service on a domain controller.

• Edited by Sumesh PModerator Thursday, March 03, 2011 10:25 AM site has formattin issues
March 3rd, 2011 10:20am

Okay but "by design" cannot be true, really? You mean it was by design that it just hangs instead of telling the user their configuration is not supported or better refusing to install both roles together in the first place?

At least for user experience and to stop people pulling their hair out the KB should hopefully produce a fix that will prevent ADS and Hyper-V RFX being added. Server Manager add roles wizard needs a fix then.

August 11th, 2011 7:27pm

You may choose to disable the RemoteFX cap driver to troubleshooting issues on the RemoteFX server. To disable the RemoteFX cap driver, type the following at a command prompt: dism /online /disable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-RemoteFX-EmbeddedVideoCap-Setup-Package, press ENTER, and then restart the computer.

This worked for me - disabling the RemoteFX cap driver got the settings pages working.

September 19th, 2011 7:36pm

Remove RemoteFX for Remote Desktop Services from the server manager under Roles and it works fine. Settings in Hyper-V come back up.
November 9th, 2011 6:18pm

In my case, the same problem arise and ADS is not installed at all.
March 20th, 2012 2:16pm

This is absolutely unacceptable answer. The hanging manager can't be "expected behavior". Actual VM starts and works, but the configuration manager hangs "loading data"... By design?! This is an obvious bug!
September 25th, 2012 8:33pm

In my case I found that the Hyper-V Host had a DVD in the physical drive that it couldn't read.

The clue was eventid 7 cdrom being reported in the event summary in Server Manager > Local Server

As soon as I ejected the disk the VM's settings could be listed.

This was the case even though the physical cdrom drive was not attached in any of the VMs

• Proposed as answer by Neil Barrack 13 hours 50 minutes ago
September 4th, 2015 1:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics